Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Procrastination is the Devil

It really is.

It costs me so much time and money and guilt. And it only makes tasks even more daunting. So I'm going to first tackle some things I've been procrastinating on... starting with this 10 page paper that was due a week ago. I got an extension, but someone is still going to want to read this one day.

Photo by Emilie Ogez


I'm going to try Marlin Mann's "10+2*5" approach, which is actually modeled after a Jeff Covey strategy to getting things done.

The idea is basically that you focus, really focus, on a task for 10 minutes. Then you stop, reward yourself with a 2 minute break to get water, tweet, or dance to Marvin Gaye in your bedroom. Then, back to work for 10 minutes.

All it requires is a timer and the willingness to focus on one thing for ten minutes at a time. I'm willing, and since going to the dollar store to buy a kitchen timer might lead to more procrastination, I've downloaded CoolTimer from CNET.

I'm writing this post in my 2 minute breaks, but I'll post how it works another day.

In the meantime... enjoy this awesome video on my enemy by Johnny Kelly...

No comments:

Post a Comment